Burry Port is a small place
in West Wales; the name refers both to the port itself (pictured)
and the town behind it. It is located on a particularly treacherous
bay that branches off the Bristol Channel around the north side
of the Gower Peninsula and consequently offered much in the way
of opportunities for both clearing up wrecked ships and deliberately
increasing the workload for the salvage merchants. At the time
the main area of residence was a few hundred yards around a hill
at Pembrey; the main administrative centres were Llanelli to
the east and Kidwelly, with its forbidding castle, to the west.
Long after Kidwelly's castle
had fallen into decay both salvage and agriculture were displaced
by the coming of the Industrial Revolution, which brought a canal
from the Gwendraeth Valley and thereby coal searching for a means
to be exported. The result was the port. The canal was subsequently
upgraded to a not very generously proportioned railway.
In 1928 Burry Port was the
landing place for the end of the first flight by a woman across
the Atlantic. The port is now a marina for small boats and a
nearby airfield handles the few visiting aircraft. The Gwendraeth
Valley line has gone, along with the collieries, leaving the
mainline to Carmarthen, a trunk road and the South Wales Coast
Path offering views along the vast sandy beach.
The ruins of the castle at
Kidwelly attract a few visitors too.